Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Juice Cleanse: Day One

If you're reading this that means that I survived day one of my juice cleanse! Here's a recap of the beginning...


When I woke up I was not immediately hungry, but I might chalk that up to the massive dinner I ate at 10:00pm the night before I started the cleanse. I typically eat within the first 30-40 minutes of waking up and I decent breakfasts so I was worried about wanting to eat my hand off.

Typically I tend to stay pretty healthy with breakfast and rarely deviate. It's the one meal of the day where I can eat the same thing and not get bored. During the winter I usually eat oatmeal most days along with some fruit and nuts or nut butter. When it starts to get warmer I'm back to plain Chobani with fruit and Kashi Go Lean cereal as a granola substitute. I eat breakfasts that are protein heavy to keep me going until lunch so I was most worried about being hungry in the morning.

Thanks to my friend Kelly for sending me some motivation yesterday!
Around the time when I usually start to get hungry I did, and so I grabbed my first juice of the day, a beautiful green bottle of liquid. She's got apple, kiwi, kale, spinach, pineapple, and a random handful of celery, bell pepper, and sugar snap peas just because they were sitting in my fridge and I figured they matched. The juice isn't half as bad as I thought it would be, but not quite as sweet as when I taste tested last night. I think sitting in the fridge overnight really brought out more of the veggie flavors.

After my first juice I probably had 12-18 ounces of water as well as a cup of green tea with just a pinch of stevia. At 10:30am I started feeling hungry although I also felt full from all of the liquid, it was an interesting feeling so I just went ahead and grabbed the next juice and it took me an hour and a half to finish it. These are definitely sipping juices, but in my defense I also had a 30 minute student appointment where I wasn't going to whip out my bottle of swamp looking juice.


My office ordered Jimmy Johns for lunch so I stayed inside my office until the threat of seeing or smelling a sandwich had passed. Honestly though I wasn't hungry and I think only felt hungry when thinking about food. I'm usually someone that eats at 12:00pm on the dot if not a few minutes before. I didn't open up my "lunch" juice until 1:00pm and finished it just before 3:00pm.

The spicy lemonade was next and it really wasn't so spicy, so maybe I should have added more cayenne but I was nervous about my mouth burning off. I threw it back in time to leave the office a bit early at 4:15pm. We had to take the cats to the vet last night (just a check up!) so that preoccupied me for a good hour and a half.


When we got home it was time for "dinner" and this beet/carrot/apple juice was the roughest all day. It really didn't taste that bad but I think I was just so over it and Mr. Young was chowing down on a bowl of cereal right next to me. This was the toughest part of the day, but I think that being home and seeing my easy access to food was what made it the most difficult.

We met with our awesome wedding videographer last night at Panera, and I was sure that this is when I would crack. After ordering a hot green tea I found us a table near the door that faced the door/outside windows so I could look at as little food possible. Worked like a charm, we had such a great conversation that I didn't think once about wanting to grab every pastry and bagel from behind the counter.

The best part of the day? Definitely the last "juice" which is an almond milk and banana concoction. It was sweet, creamy, and almost brought me to tears. It was the best thing I had all day and I savored every sip of it for almost a half an hour (the shortest time it took me to finish a juice all day) while we caught up with TV.

So overall, it went better than I was expecting. I wish that my schedule at work was busier because that would definitely make it easier to quickly move throughout the day without thinking much about not eating. I felt pretty good this morning, and was not hungry at my usual time although I've started sipping my "breakfast" juice already since I saw yesterday that it takes me forever to finish one.

While my goal of this cleanse is not to lose weight, of course this girl was curious. I weighed myself several times this morning because I was in disbelief, but I'm four pounds down. I know weight fluctuates for many reasons and mine does a lot, so I wouldn't credit all to the juice.

Day two has begun so check back in tomorrow for more updates!

1 comment:

Liz @ iheartvegetables said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I don't know if I could do it, haha. I just love food too much!